– Before closing your traveling bag …… a T-shirt for all members of the family! Obviously gluten-free. Good shopping!
– The cyber-hypocondriac suffer coeliac disease (CD), too.
The Italian dictionary acquires always new words and the CD it is more and more to the focus of the attentions not only of the doctors but also of the persons who are annoying on Internet.
From a telephone test survey from the Harris Interactive Institute it emerges that in the last two years the people who have frequently or occasionally looked for information on health has increased to 37% and in 2007 in USA they have reached 160 million.
They are the cyber-hypocondriac, that is hypocondriac online, and represent 66% of the population online. In this group we can find persons who use Internet only like a information source in order to prepare themselves for the talk with the doctor and/or for curiosity, and than persons who are annoying in compulsive and frequent behavior on the internet about health: these last ones are 26% of the Americans internauti.
Between the associations more searched: badly of head = cancer to the brain; digestion problems = CD and at last fatigue = AIDS
– Tastespotting and gluten-free food
The food webblog dedicate to the food, recipe, councils on quality products, restaurant, food design…. are more and more numerous. It is not equally easy to find something dedicated to the gluten-free
Jean Aw, author of Tastespotting – a tasty aggregator of food blogs – it has shown attention to the gluten-free and it proposes 4 recipes.
And also possible to insert own images and one short description contributing to the enrichment of the archives. Here the instructions.
– The pandemia of Saharawi.
The professor Carlo Catassi write an interesting report about the condition of Saharawi people. They have supplied and continue to supply interesting news about the interaction mechanisms between genes-environment from point of view both patogenetic both evolutionistic.
Some data …… according to data already the harvests, CD catches up 5.6%. The analyses will continue and esteem that on an infantile population of 43.000 subjects can be arrived to 2.400 diagnoses of this intolerance.
The Saharawi are people of refugee, with Berber origins, that the desert of the Sahara has always populate but that today, for political reasons, is forced living in canvas in Algeria.
The genetic order of this population, is not sufficient to explain the high incidence. Therefore which other factor is therefore determining? The alimentary habits.
For millenia their diet was lacking in gluten and breast-feeding of the children was extend until the two years of life. The weaning was much late one and began using date flours and others food gluten-free.
As a result of the Spanish colonization – in the turn of two generations – the diet has been modified and currently the children are weaning to one month of life with food rich in gluten like the bread.
From this observation the professor Catassi thinks that:
1. the ancient alimentary habits, in the individuals genetically to risk too, have determine one CD vanished, with modest degrees much of internal atrophy;
2. this situation could be a evolutionistic advantage. In fact a modest atrophy of the internal mucosa would lack molecules that act as from pathogenic receivers for the internal pathogens;
3. the cells that cover the lumen internal of the celiac person are more immature and therefore more inclined to the secretion of water and electrolytes, facilitating the removal of the colonizing microbes;
4. at last, modest infiltrated of lymphocite would be accompanied to immunological answers of defense against the internal pathogens frequent in that region of the Africa North.
– Italian market gluten-free offer some food from biological agriculture.
In the food label – in the “ingredients” – appear raw materials, marked from an asterisk (*), in order to indicate that they come from biological agriculture.
In Italy 8 on 80, the companies of gluten-free market that have made the choice to use raw materials from biological cultivations.
The 0,7% of the dietotherapic food and the free commerce are biological, diversify in three categories: pasta, cereals for breakfast and biscuits.
How are read the labels of the biological products? Three are the type of labels:
– Filler logo UE and the notice “from Biological Agriculture”: this means that the product introduces at least 95% of the biological ingredients; remaining 5% must be represented from products available or difficultly available in insufficient amounts in biological agriculture.
– Don’t filler logo UE but only the products come from biological agriculture are marked with an asterisk. In this product at least 70% of the ingredients come from biological agriculture. On these labels the indication of the origin from biological agriculture will be brought back alone in the “ingredients”. Moreover it is obligation to specify the exact percentage of biological ingredients.
– At last the notice “produced in conversion from biological agriculture” can be brought back this means that the company is in progress of conversion for that specific product; obviously in this case it cannot bring back no logo UE or other indication.
From the analysis of Italian gluten-free food’s labels it emerges that:
– 7 companies produce biologic pasta but three of them haven’t the UE logo, they should then indicate the percentage of raw biological material. True? Only in part… because only one (Orgran) indicate it correctly:“9% corn (maize) flour deriving by biological agricolture” .
Among 4 companies which have the UE logo a special metion is for Molino di Ferro – Le Asolane which use in all its refers 100% of maize flour coming from biological agricolture.
– Two over three the companies which produce cereals for breakfast having correct notice. Two companies have the notice “biological agricolture” in their labels without indicate the percentages.
– The same situation is for biscuits. Only notices and no percentages.
Be then carefull to the “BIO” sign on the new pakages, they are not all the same and cannot ensure a true biological product.
And what about their nutritional quality? In table have brought back a comparison between 5 boscuit frollini, 6 boscuit buckets and 7 boscuit with chocolate – the letters indicate the companies (equal color same companies but various the type of biscuit). It emerges from the reading of the ingredients that: 83% of the products contain saturated fatty acids or trans fatty acids of insufficient quality and little expensive acids.
And attention… between these the “frollino H*” door in label also the logo of the biological agricolture. Uhmmm something does not work.